Tuesday, December 10, 2013

more welcoming, more human.

  Elie Wiesel writes:
There it is: I still believe in man in spite of man. I believe in language even though it has been wounded, deformed and perverted by the enemies of mankind. And I continue to cling to words because it is up to us to transform them into instruments of comprehension rather than contempt. It is up to us to choose whether we wish to use them to curse or to heal, to wound or to console.  
As a Jew, I believe in the coming of the Messiah. But of course this does not mean that the world will become Jewish; just that it will become more welcoming, more human. I belong, after all, to a generation that has learned that whatever the question, indifference and resignation are not the answer. 
Illness may diminish me, but it will not destroy me. The body is not eternal, but the idea of the soul is. The brain will be buried, but memory will survive it.  
Such is the miracle: A tale about despair becomes a tale against despair.
     (--p.73, in Open Heart, by Elie Wiesel)
 Comprehension, i.e., to grasp together.

To hold, together.


No comments:

Post a Comment